Thursday, March 24, 2011

Brokeness and Joy

After a good sleep, I'm feeling a little more able to actually express what's going on over here. Haiti is amazing!
Spent the morning at the girls home playing with the kids there. Oh my gosh they're so great! They're so full of joy!
This is me and Daphne,one of the little girls at the daycare. Last time I was here she was so shy, clearly she's come out of her shell a little bit :)

After eating an amazing Haitian lunch :) we headed over to the ravine. The ravine is basically a ton of single women and their children with no dad's. There's a little church hut in the middle of a bunch of tents and shacks. Going to the tent city was one of the hardest things. After the earthquake I heard about these tent cities, just clusters of tents that people live in because their houses collapsed. I had no idea what the reality of something like this would look like, it's tragic. There were about 25 tents squished together on less than an acre worth of space. We made our way through these tents stepping over a tiny sewage river that ran through the whole "camp," this is where all water, pee, and bath waste would go to. It was so difficult to see. These people are people, like you and me, if we were to be faced with this in the states we would be so unnerved by it, but I've realized how detached I become. My biggest prayer request is just that I would allow myself to be so broken for His children here. He loves them so much, and even as I'm here I see how easy it is to not allow myself to feel the brokeness that this situation should cause. Please pray for a genuine heart of compassion and love for these amazing people. Despite the tragedy so many of these kids have so much joy, it just blows my mind and encourages me to have the joy and faith that they have.
This one of the little girls from the ravine :)

This all probably sounds very contradictory, praying for both brokeness and joy, but I know the Lord wants to work both in me, in ways that I've never experienced before. So that is my prayer. The beautiful unity of brokeness and joy.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand praying for both brokenness and joy, and I will.

    ReplyDelete